On the 16 June 2009 the ACT Chief Minister announced the appointment of Mr John Martin to conduct a review of the current ACT Supermarket Competition policy. Mr Martin is a former Commissioner of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) and was involved in the ACCC’s 2008 Retail Grocery Inquiry.
Mr Martin will examine a range of issues as part of his review including the relevance of the ACT Government‘s supermarket competition policy in light of the outcomes of the ACCC Inquiry in to the competitiveness of retail prices for standard groceries.
The ACT Government Review terms of reference cover the following key issues:
- the extent of competition in the ACT supermarket grocery sector in the light of the findings of the 2008 ACCC Inquiry into the competitiveness of retail prices for standard groceries;
- likely future trends in the structure of the ACT and Australian supermarket grocery sector;
- how the ACT Government can support effective and sustainable competition in the grocery sector;
- policies that might be applied on a site by site basis to ensure site allocation supports the ACT Government’s longer term policy objectives to promote competition and diversification; and
- any other additional measures that might be considered by the ACT Government to support a diverse and competitive retail grocery sector over the medium to longer term.
The ACT Government welcomes written submissions to the review from interested organisations and individuals. Submissions should address the key issues noted above, but other pertinent information or views are most welcome. Submissions should be marked ‘in-confidence’ if you do not wish them to be publicly accessible.
As part of the review process a series of public forums will be held, the ACT Government understands that the dynamics of each region is different and therefore five public forums will be held across the ACT.
When: 13th July 2009 (12.30 – 2.30pm)
Where: Vikings Town Centre, Cnr Athlon Dr & Rowland Rees Cres Greenway
When: 13th July 2009 (6.30 – 8.30pm)
Where: Canberra Southern Cross Club 92 – 96 Corinna Street Woden ACT
When: 14th July 2009 (12.30 – 2.30pm)
Where: The Gungahlin Lakes Golf Club, Cnr Gungahlin Dr & Gundaroo Rd Nicholls ACT
When: 14th July 2009 (6.30 – 8.30pm)
Where: West Belconnen Leagues Club, Hardwick Cres Kippax ACT
When: 16th July 2009 (5 – 7pm)
Where: The ACT Legislative Assembly Building, London Cct, Canberra ACT
Public submissions will be accepted until COB 24 July 2009, please forward submissions to Supermarketreview@act.gov.au or post to Supermarket Review, Business and Industry Development, GPO Box 158, Canberra City ACT 2601