Our vision is to make the North Canberra region a better place to live. We regularly engage with our constituents to ensure that we fully understand their views and we actively represent these to Government. We willingly challenge any decisions that potentially lessen the well-being the members of our community through official, political and legal means as necessary.
The North Canberra Community Council has a committee that is elected annually by the community of North Canberra. NCCC will consider all sides and positions on community issues and will endeavour to convey the concerns of the community to the government.
The committee comprises:
- Chairperson – Jochen Zeil – Email: Chair@northcanberra.org.au
- Deputy Chairperson – Jane Goffman – Email: email@example.com
- Secretary – Chris Finnigan – Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treasurer – Bruce Smith – Email: Treasurer1@northcanberra.org.au
- Media coordinator: Marcus Hipkins – Email: email@example.com
- Committee Members:
- Ainslie: Marcus Hipkins, Ian Hubbard
- Braddon: Ernestine Kirsch; Geoff Davidson
- Campbell Comm. Assoc.: Margaret Dudley
- Dickson Resident Assoc.: Peter Callan
- Downer Comm. Assoc.: Geoff Francis
- Hackett Comm. Assoc.: Waltraud Pix; Brook Clinton
- Lyneham Comm. Assoc.: Gordon McAllister; Angela Rymer
- Reid Resident Assoc.: Marianne Albury-Colless
- Turner: Neil Parsons
- Watson Comm. Assoc.: Simon Clarke
NCCC Working Groups:
NCCC supports several working groups, specifically with attendance by a NCCC Committee Member or ordinary member as a representative on the working group. The working groups evolve and change on an as needs basis.
- Section 72 Dickson Working Group
- The Canberra Airport Aircraft Noise Consultative Forum.
- Transport Working Group
- The Hackett Round Table Working Group
The committee manages the day to day operations of the NCCC. This involves attending meetings to represent the community, dealing with phone calls, emails, letters and responses to submissions.
Members can nominate for a position on the Committee. Nominations for Committee positions should be signed by a Nominator and a Seconder, and accepted by the Nominee, as per the Committee Nomination Form. The Signed nomination forms should be submitted to the Secretary a week or more prior to the Annual General Meeting. Click for a nomination form.
There are no membership fees for the NCCC and any resident of North Canberra is able to contact the NCCC to seek assistance or advice. All members of the committee are volunteers and no one receives payment for any activities.
Application for Membership
Subrule 5 (1) of the North Canberra Community Council Constitution
Membership is open to all North Canberra residents aged 18 years and over, and to
other persons subject to the approval of the committee.
Alternatively, complete the following from and post it to NCCC
Unless advertised differently, meetings occur on the third WEDNESDAY night as per the schedule below at 7.00pm at the Downer Community Hall, in Frencham Place, Downer ACT 2602 (facing the Downer shops). The monthly meeting will alternate between Committee Meetings and General Meetings. Any member of the NCCC or the public may attend Committee Meetings as an observer.
Guest speakers on relevant topics are invited regularly.
Meeting details are on our Meetings page
The Committee members of NCCC attend a range of meetings to communicate the aims and objectives of the Council. Examples include:
- The Community Councils Forum hosted by the ACT Department of Disability, Housing and Community Services.
- The Planning and Development Forum (ACT Planning and Land Authority);
- Meetings with Ministers and MLA’s in the ACT Legislative Assembly
- ACT Planning and Land Authority information sessions; and
- Seminars and briefings given by consultants to the ACT Government.
The North Canberra Community Council (NCCC) is recognised by the ACT Government as a peak community body representing the interests of the local residents, businesses and organisations within the Inner North region of Canberra with the ACT Government. We are made up of passionate volunteers who care about our community.NCCC works cooperatively with local community groups including :
- Ainslie Residents Association
- Braddon Collective
- Campbell Community Association
- Dickson Residents Group
- Downer Community Association
- Hackett Community Association
- Lyneham Community Association
- O’Connor Community Inc
- Pialligo Residents’ Association
- Reid Residents’ Association
- Turner Residents’ Association
- Watson Community Association
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org have your community group linked to NCCC
The North Canberra Community Council strives to communicate with residents, politicians and staff in government departments and agencies. We also actively seek to communicate with other community organisations operating in North Canberra. NCCC has a variety of methods of publicising its activities and communicating with residents.
Occasional columns are written in the free local newspaper The Northside Chronicle. Press releases are sent to the media to cover significant issues and events. An electronic newsletter is sent to those who supply their email address to the NCCC via our email address at email@example.com or by using our on-line contact form. A website is maintained at www.northcanberra.org.au and you can also subscribe to items by using our RSS feed.
Draft North Canberra Community Council digital communication policies and procedures
- Recordings of general meeting presentations will ordinarily be made public on the NCCC’s YouTube channel 24 hours after the close of the meeting.
- Recordings are intended to make meetings accessible to people who are unable to attend the meeting or view the live stream.
- Meeting participants may view a recording of a live stream before it is made public. Requests for such a viewing may be made to the NCCC Media Coordinator
- Requests may be made to the NCCC Media Coordinator that a segment of a recording not be made public. The NCCC Media Coordinator may decide not to make the segment public if the privacy, legal or other reason for restricting public access to the segment outweighs the benefits of public access to the full meeting recording.
- Meeting agendas and approved minutes of meetings will be forwarded by the NCCC Secretary to the website manager (and copied to the NCCC Media Coordinator) to be available on the NCCC website. Any other newsworthy material may be sent to the Media Coordinator for inclusion on the NCCC website or other media platforms as appropriate.