The Keep Australia Beautiful ACT Sustainable Cities awards are open to community, business and government organisations active in the ACT. They are designed to encourage, motivate and celebrate the achievements of the ACT’s local environmental heroes.
You can enter by providing Keep Australia Beautiful with:
- a description up to 400 words of your project
- up to 4 photographs supporting your project
You may enter as many Categories as you wish and the same project may be entered into several categories if applicable.
The Award categories are listed below:
- Recognises achievement in community beautification, presentation and pride.
- Recognises communities which proudly preserve and value cultural history.
- Recognises partnership achievements by government and/or business with local communities.
- Recognises achievement through innovation by community, government and business under the principles and practical actions associated with environment protection and sustainability.
‘Dame Phyllis Frost ’ Litter Prevention
- Recognises achievement in community litter management and reduction includingthe undertaking of litter audits, and litter education programs.
- is named in honour of the founder of the Keep Australia Beautiful Network
- Recognises achievement in resource recovery and waste management including initiatives which conserve resources, water or energy minimisation practices; the recovery and reuse of materials including packaging, and the appropriate disposal of non-recyclable materials.
Protection of the Environment
- Recognises achievement in the protection of the natural environment and, specifically, the preservation of native flora and fauna.
- Recognises sustainable water management within communities which has combined innovative water conservation and water re-use initiatives at the private, industrial and municipal levels, benefiting society and nature.
- Recognise sustainable energy management within communities which has combined innovative energy conservation initiatives at the private, industrial and municipal levels, benefiting society and nature.
Sustainable Buildings and Gardens
- Recognises environmental achievement in design and construction of domestic, industrial and commercial buildings and gardens. (One award for domestic and one for industrial and commercial.)
- Recognises environmental achievement through youth initiative and/or by a community, which encourages and promotes youth initiative and environmental education and or achievement.
Enteries should be sent to
or alternatively phone Alison Ross 0405 541 921
More information is available from the Keep Australia Beautiful (ACT) Webpage
Entries close: Friday 19 June 2009
Awards Presentation: Wednesday 1 July 2009