- Turn your mobile phone off or to silent. If you must take an urgent call, take your conversation outside.
- Treat others with respect, even if you disagree with them. Don’t make rude comments.
- Limit side conversations.
- Do not interrupt speakers. Wait until they have finished.
- If you want to speak, raise your hand and wait to be recognised by the Chairperson.
- Stay on the topic.
- Don’t discuss personal issues during the meeting, except when it is about the subject being discussed by the Committee or in the “Members’ Session”.
- Address any concerns about the discussion or the meeting with the Chairperson. It is the Chairperson’s job to bring the meeting to order.
- The quorum for General meeting is ten members. The quorum for a Committee meeting is 4 committee members.
- Open the meeting.
- If appropriate explain what the Community Council is about – aims, membership etc.
- Introduce key people – office bearers and guest speakers.
- Confirm agreement to follow the agenda, or otherwise to change the order of the agenda items.
- Manage the meeting.
- Thank those who have contributed to the meeting.
- Close the meeting.
- Make a motion : “I MOVE”
- State the motion
- Discussion: “I SECOND” DISCUSSION
- All in favour: “YES”
- All opposed : “NO”
- Abstain : “ABSTAIN”
- Announce results
Note: These rules are based on the meeting rules developed in 1915 by General Robert’s